Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for a Business Development Manager in Hong Kong
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
Tel No.: +852 XXXX XXXX | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Nationality: Chinese
- Enterprise IT Business Developer with over 15 years’ experience in architecting and closing ERP solutions for Blue Chip multinational clients such as Petronas, Exxon Mobil, and BP. [This opening line perfectly captures a strong summary. Citing key clients you’ve manged adds impact to your executive summary.]
- Highly driven go-getter. Exceeded sales targets for 5 consecutive years, with a proven track record of closing over USD 25 million worth of enterprise sales contracts in FY2015. [Career achievements like these, as well as the ones below, help to make your CV memorable.]
- Deep understanding of global business landscape with experience in selling to clients within oil & gas, automotive, and semiconductor industries.
- Analytic thinker with ability to craft strategies which have successfully penetrated new segments of the market across APAC, resulting in capture of new accounts worth over USD 100 million.
- People developer with track record for assembling and training high performance sales teams across 5 countries in Asia. Currently leading team of 25 staff spread across 8 offices.
- Excellent interpersonal skills towards building relationships at all organisational levels, qualified leader with several employer awards for outstanding performance.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
New Business Growth
|ERP / SaaS Solutions||Account Management|
|Strategic Planning||P&L Management|
|Training & Recruitment||Team Leadership|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key business development phrases necessary to get past those scanners.]
SAP SOFTWARE SOLUTIONS, Hong Kong
- Lead team of 25 associates to drive sales and marketing for SAP’s suite of software solutions; specialise in solutions for clients within the oil & gas industry. In charge of overseeing accounts worth over USD 20 million in annual licensing revenue. [The opening line captures all the reader needs to know about this role]
- Solely responsible for sales team P&L and strategy of regional office; conceptualise and implement winning strategies to unlock untapped potential and hit quarterly sales target valued at 5 million.
- Establish contact with customers within and outside of Asia; understand local needs and suggest optimum product offerings, achieving above industry customer retention rates.
- Conduct macro analysis to identify key untapped opportunities; analyse barriers to entry including competition analysis, tender requirements, equipment lifecycle times, and customer size for line of 6 unique software solutions targeted at oil and gas industry. [These are the exact phrases used in the job advertisement we are applying for. The HR Executive reading your CV may not have an accounting background. Their understanding of the industry is limited. Ensure you use the language they’re familiar with, such as the phrases used in the job advertisement.]
- Identify key partnerships and industry gatekeepers; negotiate partnerships to leverage on both parties’ strengths; formulate strategies to align incentives and create win-win scenarios for all parties involved.
- Support product road mapping and development pipeline; provide continuous inputs to product teams on market trends and customer feedback pertaining to product satisfaction as well as areas for improvement.
- Single-handedly closed sales worth UD 25 million in FY2015; consistently achieved sales targets whilst ensuring sales costs and expenditures kept within stipulated budgets. [Cite metrics to substantiate your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Spearheaded launch of new ERP cloud products for oil & gas clients; mapped out market entry strategy and business case, identified key accounts, crafted branding and marketing campaign;; business revenues stand at a sustainable amount of USD 10 million today, with projected revenue of 15.5 million at the closing of this financial year.
- Pivotal team member in kickstarting collaboration with Amazon Web Services (AWS) on cross selling of enterprise IT solutions; identified synergies between 2 software products and negotiated platform to mutual benefit in cross selling solutions.
- Utilized long-term market analysis to configure excellent sales commission scheme for incentivising executives. Scheme successfully enhanced sales by more than 40% within 1 year of implementation.
- Awarded “High Performer – Gold” and company leadership award of outstanding sales performance and team leadership in 2013.
ORACLE ERP SOLUTIONS, Hong Kong
- Led team of 25 sales strategists to conceptualise and develop winning business models for key automotive accounts in the Asian and Middle East regions. Companies include Lexus, Volkswagen, and local automotive accounts within India. [Show you are able to successfully manage global brands and big accounts.]
- Managed 9 top strategic accounts in automotive and industrial solutions in EMEA region, capturing 5 new consumer markets within the region through excellent partnerships and a unique value proposition.
- Single-handedly grew global team of sales and operation specialists from 6 to 12 within a span of 12 months whilst maintaining positive P&L for sales team. [Keep the descriptions of past work experiences short and simple. No need to go into deep detail about more junior workscopes.]
- Acquired 8 key accounts withing financial year 2009-2010, successfully boosting revenue by a record USD 3 million through consistent deal closure and identification of unique opportunities.
- Selected internally to act a as industry advisor to product development team. Provided key inputs on product specifications, unmet industry needs and estimated market sizes for range of new products under development.
- Appointed as direct mentor for over 15 talents in the organization, grooming individuals to take on leadership roles in multidisciplinary environment and equipping them with relevant expertise in a range of accounts. [Citing your ability and experience in developing and mentoring staff shows leadership.]
- Awarded ‘Outstanding Performer’ in recognition for outstanding sales made in FY2010 based on management recommendation and peer evaluation.
SALESFORCE.COM, Hong Kong
- Key part of 4-man team tasked with selling cloud-based ERP solutions to SMEs within the semi-conductor industry in Asia. Personally managed accounts worth over USD 3 million annually. [Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done.]
- Exceeded sales targets for 12 consecutive quarters to close over USD 8 million worth of sales over 4 year period.
- Identified and captures a year-long collaboration with company’s Indonesian partner, securing USD 3 million in long-term profit revenue.
- Facilitated CEO engagement to resolve a year-old outstanding dispute, securing USD 10 million in settlement funds and retaining ability to re-engage customer to secure future service for purchase.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelors of Business Administration, University of Hong Kong | 1995
- MBA, Specialisation in IT Strategy and Sales, INSEAD, France | 2009
- Technical Skills: MS Office Suite, ERP, SaaS, SAP
- Languages: English, Cantonese, Mandarin
- Interests: Reading, Travelling, Rock Climbing
- Availability: 1 months’ notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the Business Development Resume Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of CV samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
About the Business Development Role
Business development jobs are almost always available. In fact, many companies in Hong Kong are looking to fill up business roles and positions from qualified professionals.
However, a business development job will not be simply handed to you. You have to create an impressive business development resume that will catch the attention of recruiters and hiring managers.
To get started, we will show you a resume sample of a business development executive that you can use as a guide.
Key Pointers Recruiters Look For In Business Development Resumes:
- Your ability to segment market and identify key verticals with low barriers to entry
- Your strong domain knowledge of product and end users
- A tenacious ability to penetrate new accounts and territories
- Relevance of your work experience to the job you are applying for
Writing the Business Development Resume
1. Resume Header
Ensure your header clearly states your Name, Email Address and Contact Number. There is no need to put your home address or identification (NRIC) number.
2. Executive Summary
The executive summary gives a quick overview of your work history. Here, we want to communicate your domain expertise and history in winning new accounts. If possible, do also include a line or 2 with metrics about your success. An ideal resume should be geared towards the job scope of the job you are applying for. Therefore, you should try your best to align key phrases mentioned in the job application to work you have done.
3. Areas of Expertise
This section includes all the keywords resume scanning softwares often use. It’s important to place key softwares/languages here relevant to the job ad you’re applying for. Scan the job application and parrot back the key phrases they’ve mentioned into your resume.
Some other common phrases to include in Business Development resumes are:
- Client Management
- New Business Development
- Sales Strategies
- New Market Penetration
- P&L Management
- New Product Launches
- Key Partnerships
- Account Acquisition
4. Work Experiences
Always break your work experiences into 2 parts – your daily workscope and your achievements where possible.
For the daily workscope, include a high level summary with key words and metrics detailing your achievements. Workscopes which are implied can be omitted. Remember, you want to keep your resume short and sharp for the recruiter.
At the same time, you may wish to highlight your soft skills and areas of expertise that you have demonstrated throughout your employment. Indicate instances of leadership and include technical skillsets you possess.
Present yourself as someone who is able to keep on task and achieve substantial outcomes. You may wish to pace your resume by stating the people you have worked with and the collaborations you have managed.
With the advent of complex sales tracking software, it is crucial that you’re well versed in analysing and optimising your sales campaigns based on this data. Tableau is currently the hot software to use amongst Fortune 500 companies.
5. Key Achievements
Your achievements section is critical to differentiating your application from that of your peers. Include projects which you have led and their resulting tangible business benefits. Use quantifiable phrases to introduce your achievements.
Business benefits you may wish to indicate can be in the form of:
- % Revenue Gains
- Key Account Captures
- New Market Penetrations
- Projects Undertaken and Products introduced
- Achievements within a time period
- Cost Savings
Always tie back your workscopes to long term business benefits. This is what the hiring manager and employer want to see. Ultimately, they want to know you can bring great value to their organisation.
6. Education & Misc Information
Be sure to include your professional memberships, awards and certifications with you education.
Business Development Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Hong Kong to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Hong Kong
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Analysis
Let’s have a chat — fill out the form below, and our team of HR experts and recruiters will get in touch to review your CV for the Hong Kong job market.
We’ll take a look at your resume, assess the roles you’re applying to, and let you know how your CV compares against other applicants.
We’ll then give you tips and strategies to improve your CV, advance your career goals, and improve your interview call up rate.
This consultation is free and completely non-obligatory.