Here’s a sample Cover Letter we recently produced for a Communications Manager in Hong Kong
In this article, you’ll learn:
- About the Communications Manager Role
- What Hiring Manager Look For In Communications Manager Cover Letter
- Communications Manager Job Opportunities
- Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
Communications Manager Cover Letter [Full Sample]
Here’s a full Communications Manager Owner Cover Letter sample, which we wrote for a client recently.
[If you know the name of the Hiring Manager, personalise your application by addressing the person directly. Job ads on LinkedIn, for example, display the name of the person posting the ad.]
It is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the position of Communications Manager at ABC Company. With over 5 years’ communications experience across APAC, I’ve spearheaded campaigns to successfully enhance brand awareness, expand audience reach, and launch new communications infrastructure from scratch. I’ve had the opportunity to lead multi-market, cross-functional teams over 30 strong, manage operational budgets of HKD500K+, and forge strong relationships with multiple leading media outlets. As such, I am confident that I am an ideal candidate for ABC Company. [Identify your best skills that fit the job ad and role requirements, and include this in your overview of your experiences. Metrics help establish context and scale for your work.]
- Presently, I am a Senior Associate with XYZ Company, where I oversee client account management, brand strategy, and marketing for 6 key accounts. Directing a monthly budget of HKD50K+, and managing everything from content creation, media relations, and event management across 5 markets, I liaise directly with C-Suite executives from blue chip companies, and deliver outstanding brand performance and growth. [Focus again on your top skills as required by the role or firm. Here, highlight key working experiences that are directly relevant to the target role.]
- Among my various achievements, I am most proud of having spearheaded a HKD50K digital platform integration and rebranding project across 6 regions for XYZ Company, securing international media exposure in 30 top tier news outlets. [Single out your best achievements – once again, metrics are key! For more senior communications roles, show your ability to lead strategic projects that deliver impact.]
Throughout my career I’ve been able to lead brand strategy, enhance client visibility and standing, and develop strong relationships with senior business leaders and media partners. With my years of experience, as well as my extensive skills and expertise, I’m positive that I’ll be able to oversee effective communications strategy and successfully guide brand enhancement as Communications Manager at ABC Company. [Focus again on your top skills as required by the role or firm. Here, highlight key working experiences that are directly relevant to the target role.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of joining such an operation, and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring. I appreciate your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +852 1234 5678 or by email at email@example.com. [Finally, cap your Cover Letter with a call-to-action – show your excitement to meet your potential employer, and provide ways you can be contacted.]
About the Communications Manager Role
Communications Manager is actually a generic title that could encompass different work scopes.
For some firms, the role focuses purely on internal communications. For others, it’s external communications only – involving traditional media relations, social media, etc.
These days, Communications Managers are typically involved in a mix of integrated communications, running the gamut from media relations to influencer management, social media and digital, partnerships, events, and so on.
What Hiring Managers Look for in Communications Manager Cover Letters
- Mention the brands you’ve worked for and how you were able to establish and/or increase brand awareness/recall or loyalty.
- Show your ability to develop overall communications strategies, as well as manage the development and production of communications materials such as copy, press releases, videos, etc.
- Highlight your deep familiarity with marketing tools, especially digital and social ones. Communications and brand marketing are evolving faster, so prove that you’re on top of these changes.
- Results from brand and communications efforts can be difficult to quantify. But if you can, cite metrics that can prove the success of your brand communications campaigns. These may include increase in web traffic or social media growth, amount of media exposure achieved, increase in foot traffic to physical store, or direct contribution to sales and revenue growth.
- Speak about projects and campaigns you’ve conceptualised, planned and led. The higher you go up the Communications career ladder, the heavier expectations will weigh on your ability to set strategic direction, and effectively manage teams to deliver on brand initiatives.
Communications Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Hong Kong to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
Before You Go…
Before you start sending out applications, send us your resume for a free CV feedback analysis from our team. We’ll review your CV in detail, share personalised feedback on its strengths and weaknesses, and show you how you can improve it.