Here’s a sample resume we recently produced for an e-commerce director in Hong Kong.
Tel.: +852 1234 5678 | Email: email@example.com | Nationality: Chinese
- Strategic E-commerce leader with >6 years’ experience developing high-impact e-capabilities development solutions, driving digital marketing strategy and sales transformation initiatives, and delivering high-growth revenue results within e-commerce retail and F&B industry across APAC.
- Demonstrable business acumen and expertise with digital practices & trends, DTC & new business models, omnichannel strategy and brand building; adept translating high-level information to key stakeholders for successful project implementations, advocating business efficiencies and improved customer experience.
- Natural team player, action-oriented and strategic planner for collaborative, multicultural and international environment, with ability to secure solid business relationships across organisational levels and externally.
- Brand building extending reach by +30% across APAC markets, and exceeded EC channel sales by HKD185M with revenue CAGR of +21%, factoring for >60% of APAC business growth contribution. ~ ABC Inc.
- Successful onboarding of 4 key strategic markets in APAC as strategic digital acceleration plan, that grew digital FTE staff by 3 in 5 years and uplifted digital capabilities maturity by +30%. ~ ABC Inc.
- Accelerated e-commerce plans and grew opportunity pipeline significantly, through strategic partnerships with global key customer accounts (FGH Inc., JKL Ltd., UGC Co.). ~ ASD Co.
[This section gives a good helicopter view of the candidate. Quantifying the current role helps to give scale to the current responsibilities.]
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
|Business Strategy||D2C Sales Growth & New Business Models||Category & Channel Management|
|Data Analytics||Brand Strategy & Social Media||Digital & Omni-Channel Strategy|
|Global Project Management||Partnership & Relationship Management||Customer Experience|
|Cross-cultural Adaptation||Team Leadership|
[Ensure the keywords here mirror those used in the job ad. The first round of vetting is often done by a software scanner. This section helps to pad the CV with key phrases, which is necessary to get past those scanners.]
ABC Inc, HONG KONG
- Drive omni-channel brand transformation strategies, managing media planning budget of HKD11M across 7 regions in APAC; deploy global digital asset strategy to elevate data analytics readiness, and pilot APAC T&L brand agenda. Oversee omni-channel sales transformation to support markets.[Opening line perfectly summarizes the candidate’s current role as it speaks about the size of the team and primary responsibility.]
- Support implementation and performance review of various global omni-channel brand campaigns and activations to deliver growth transformation.[Elaborate on your key responsibilities.]
- Build and deploy sales growth acceleration initiatives (perfect digital store, shopper marketing, e-commerce portfolio solutions, SRM), partnering markets through strategic business reviews to support execution.
- Identify D2C business opportunities, accelerate D2C marketing streams and existing digital assets, to optimise digital acquisition, conversion and retention through best-in-class brand experiences; define performance targets/KPIs to formalise regional D2C financial reporting.
- Partner HR and cross-functional teams to drive enterprise-wide digital transformation, through capability development & investment strategy, and digital talent programmes (coaching & mentoring, succession planning); facilitated APAC omni-channel communities of expertise to redefine organisation-wide learning & sharing culture.
- Extended brand reach by +30% across APAC markets, in applying 80/15/5 media investment strategy and putting forth principles of media operating governance.[Talk about your contributions (and the approaches you took on to achieve them) to the company and how it affected the operations in the relevant locations where possible.]
- Exceeded EC channel sales by HKD86M with revenue CAGR +20%, factoring for >60% of APAC business growth contribution; top 5 e-KAs achieved steady revenue growth at CAGR of >40%.[Cite quantifiable metrics to support your achievements. Do, however, be aware of your company confidentiality clause.]
- Deployed 3 strategic EC acceleration initiatives in APAC that delivered incremental sales of HKD200K – HKD5M.
- D2C grew by +70%, reaching 10% of overall EC business sales contribution in APAC, through implementation and acceleration of 4 new business models (FGS, social commerce, Shop in Shop, ecosystem based commerce).
- Increased digital maturity readiness by +15% in rolling out enterprise-wide digital transformation.
ABC Inc., HONG KONG
- Managed development of digital acceleration roadmap, including markets onboarding, foundations building, driving functional expertise, influencing digital budget & resource allocation; partnered global markets to roll out projects, supporting double digit KPI growth & elevating digital maturity across APAC.[Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous similar workscopes.]
- Identified key digital business trends and growth opportunities shaping developments of new ecommerce strategies; established financial forecasts, must-win battles and capabilities required to maximize growth.
- Strengthened relationships with key leading local/regional players, to identify cross-functional initiatives that fuel growth and efficiencies, aligning with strategic business and category priorities.
- Accelerated key digital commerce capabilities by organizing digital events, incorporating regional structural process, and animating demand communities; fostered regional BPs sharing and built collaborative teams.
- Worked closely with HR, effectively driving digital transformation agenda supporting talent acquisitions and organizational design to invest ahead of the digital growth curve.
- Gained revenue growth of +18% CAGR, contributing to 31% of total sales generated for APAC, through progressive execution of digital marketing & transformation initiatives.
- Onboarded 4 key strategic markets, developing tactical business thrusts and action plans for optimal results.
- Generated NSV growth for Korea and ANZ by +HKD20M in 4Y, with revenue CAGR of +50% and >10 FTEs, following implementation of strategic digital transformational plans in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Developed regional portfolio of 5 key omni-players across APAC, strengthening ecommerce & cross functional approaches (category, joint value creation, executional priorities) towards robust sustainable business growth.
- Grew digital maturity readiness by +30%, through comprehensive share & learn agenda to build digital capabilities.
ASD Co., HONG KONG
- Drove strategic global e-commerce & sales knowledge management initiatives and determined priorities for business intelligence strategy; developed e-business plans across categories and channels in Europe and Latin America for global customers, and prescribed processes needed to fortify global e-commerce capabilities.[Simple, clear overview of the job you previously done. Notice also how the remaining bullet points are shorter. No need to go into deep detail about previous similar workscopes.]
- Engaged with retailers at both global and local levels to position ASD Co. as critical partner and build online category captaincy; worked with IKAMs to select e-commerce counterparts for international agreements.
- Led e-commerce projects and T&L initiatives, managing and influencing key business units and e-retailers throughout adoption of new standards in industry.
- Launched local workshops, animated e-commerce community and networked with start-ups, agencies and other CPGs, sharing widely on ASD Co.’s vision, ambition and scope for e-commerce, enabling strong digital ecosystem.
- Supervised global business intelligence strategy that supported sales enablement; analysed and communicated on strategic updates including business & category trends, retail & consumer insights and priority knowledge solutions.
- Accelerated global ecommerce plans (JBP) with global customers, growing opportunity pipeline through strategic business reviews; key contributor in customers’ internal meetings on status quo and priorities.
- Launched transversal projects collaborating with external partners and digital agencies to test and learn for best practices; projects covered areas in precision marketing/targeted couponing, gamification, consumer insights, etc.
- Developed business intelligence strategy on shopper/retail environment, partnering external major key agencies and cultivated effective ongoing global relationships based on trust.
RTH Group, HONG KONG
- Drove all sales activities covering product listing negotiations, promotions, brand merchandising and price optimisation, managing HM/SM portfolio turnover of HKD15M (equivalent to 60% of independent stores).
- Implemented 2 successful local projects (promotion operations) and handled budget of up to HKD20K.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS
- Master in Global Management & Affairs; International Finance | Hong Kong University | Hong Kong | 2011
- Bachelor of Science in Management | University of Hong Kong | Hong Kong | 2008
- Languages: Fluent in English and Cantonese
- Nationality: Chinese
- Availability: 1 Month’s Notice
References available upon request
[There’s no need to list your references; if HR is interested in you they will ask you for them.]
Want a winning CV like the E-Commerce Director CV Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of CV samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
About the E-Commerce Director Role
It’s a terrific time to be in the e-commerce field! Companies are increasingly turning to online retail (some even shifting completely), and the e-commerce industry is expected to grow tremendously over the next few years.
Interested in climbing the ranks to a senior leadership E-Commerce role? Here’s what you need to know about being an E-Commerce Director:
An E-Commerce director oversees sales and distributions of products through online shopping platforms, generally the company or brands’ own channels, and partners’ or key customers’ channels too. E-Commerce directors must be strategically minded and relationship savvy, as they typically collaborate closely with cross functional and external partners to drive all aspects of e-commerce.
This may include devising e-commerce strategies, analysing channel effectiveness and sales performance, running marketing and promotional campaigns, web optimisation and analytics, and forecasting business and sales projections.
What Hiring Managers Look for in E-Commerce Director CVs
Here are our top E-Commerce Director CV writing tips:
- Clearly communicate your key strengths and abilities in e-commerce, and breadth of the scope you’ve handled. E-commerce is a relatively broad field, so doing this gives the hiring manager a clearer idea of your capabilities.
- Ensure you include keywords relevant to the job description! In the case of an E-Commerce Director, this includes role-specific keywords such as ‘direct to consumer’ or ‘omnichannel strategy’’, and skill keywords such as ‘digital strategy’, or ‘channel management’, that are vital to the role.
- Of course, don’t just pepper your CV with keywords – the best E-Commerce practitioners are able to demonstrate their capabilities with hard evidence. State your most significant achievements to the company, and mention metrics that show channel, revenue, or sales growth.
E-Commerce Director Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Hong Kong to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your resume. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a Winning Resume: Your Ultimate CV Guide
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- How to Use LinkedIn to Find a Job: Your Ultimate LinkedIn Guide
- List of Headhunters in Hong Kong
- Cover Letter Samples, Templates & Tips
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Back to Resume Samples, Templates & Tips
Free Confidential CV Analysis
Let’s have a chat — fill out the form below, and our team of HR experts and recruiters will get in touch to review your CV for the Hong Kong job market.
We’ll take a look at your resume, assess the roles you’re applying to, and let you know how your CV compares against other applicants.
We’ll then give you tips and strategies to improve your CV, advance your career goals, and improve your interview call up rate.
This consultation is free and completely non-obligatory.