Here’s a Cover Letter sample we recently produced for a Product Manager in Hong Kong:
| +852 9876 2345 | firstname.lastname@example.org |
Dear [Hiring Manager’s Name],
[If you know the hiring manager’s name, address them directly. LinkedIn job ads often state the name of the person posting the ad.]
Application for the Position of Product Manager
It is with great enthusiasm that I submit my application for the position of Product Manager at XYZ Co. Through my 5 year career, I’ve come to specialise in leading the end-to-end product development lifecycle for a wide range of financial and technology products for multiple industries. My deep know-how in the full product development process comes from extensive experience leading cross-functional teams in business case development, client collaboration and outlining product implementation roadmaps. By leveraging my expertise, I’ve closed 10 machine learning projects within 9 months for clients including 123 Co., 67 Group and MON Co. [Summarise your work experience as a product manager, which will help give the hiring manager an idea of what you can do. Cite an achievement with quantifiable metrics!]
- Presently, I am a Senior Associate Director/ Head of Products with ABC Tech, where I oversee a team of 25 product managers and engineers to conduct market research, identify prospective clients, build winning business cases and collaborate with clients to develop and launch profitable products. I also steer the development and implementation of our short and long term corporate business strategy and spearhead the setting up of companies to bring products to market. Among my achievements, I am most proud of launching 2 widely accepted machine learning products with another 4 products currently in the production pipeline. [Single out your best achievements. Providing metrics is key to substantiate your accomplishments and prove your abilities.]
With my engineering background and practical experience in developing product solutions, business development and client management, I’m positive that I’ll be able to contribute effectively to XYZ Co’s continued growth and performance, particularly in leading teams to identify potential market entry points and developing products that exceed client expectations. [Focus again on your top skills as required by the role or firm. Here, highlight key experiences that are directly relevant to the target role.]
I am thrilled at the possibility of being part of such a renowned firm, and would love the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the value that I can bring to XYZ Co. I appreciate your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at any time via mobile at +852 9876 2345 or by email at email@example.com. [Finally, cap your Cover Letter with a call-to-action – show your excitement to meet your potential employer, and provide ways you can be contacted.]
Want a winning Cover Letter like the Product Manager Sample above? Click the button below to get our full set of Cover Letter samples, delivered straight to your inbox!
About the Product Manager Role
A Product Manager serves as the overall “in charge” of a product’s development – they’re responsible for driving the conceptualisation and development of products from end-to-end. Product managers play an important role in organisations whose main business revolves around designing, manufacturing, selling, and distributing physical or virtual products.
The role demands a strong ability to set a product vision and strategy, deep familiarity with the full product development lifecycle, leading cross-functional teams from product conception to launch, and exceptional communication skills.
An engineering background is a huge bonus, and will give candidates an edge for the Product Manager role, but it isn’t absolutely essential. Other typical career pathways taken towards becoming a Product Manager include user design, program management, marketing and business consulting.
The role is not limited to technical knowledge, and depending on the size of the team or organisational structure, can also include marketing, forecasting and profit and loss responsibilities.
What Hiring Managers Look for in Product Manager Cover Letters
Here are our top Product Manager Cover Letter writing tips:
While Product Management may include a variety of scopes, ensure you focus on your skills and experience that match the core demands of this position – show your ability to strategise and plan a product roadmap, working with various teams to build the product in line with the company’s business vision.
- Highlight your deep familiarity with the full product development lifecycle through specific projects you’ve led. These could include products you’ve conceptualised from scratch, or existing ones you’ve improved.
- People skills are key to this role. Highlight your skills in internal stakeholder management, and ability to communicate and work effectively with cross-functional teams, such as Product, Marketing, and Engineering.
- Single out your best achievements – metrics are crucial! Use numbers to substantiate the scale of the project managed, and quantify the products’ success.
Product Manager Job Opportunities
- Join LinkedIn groups or follow companies you wish to work for to keep abreast with new job openings.
- Alternatively, you can reach out to these headhunters in Hong Kong to learn about any vacancies they may be trying to fill out.
Job Hunting Tips from our Resident Headhunter
- Create a winning cover letter and send it along your CV. The cover letter will serve as an introduction about yourself and is a great venue to answer the question “Why should we hire you?”
- Be active on social media, particularly on LinkedIn. Make sure to create a strong online profile that represents you and you professional experiences. Here’s our comprehensive guide on writing a great LinkedIn profile.
- Before you start sending out applications, get a free CV Feedback Session with our team.
More Useful Links
If you found this article useful, you might also like:
- How to Write a CV: Your Ultimate Guide for a Winning Resume
- How to Write a Cover Letter: Your Ultimate Cover Letter Guide
- Complete list of Headhunters in Hong Kong
- 50+ IT and Software Companies in Hong Kong
- Free CV Sample and Template for All Industries in Hong Kong
- Downloadable Free Resume Templates
Free Confidential CV Analysis
Let’s have a chat — fill out the form below, and our team of HR experts and recruiters will get in touch to review your CV for the Hong Kong job market.
We’ll take a look at your resume, assess the roles you’re applying to, and let you know how your CV compares against other applicants.
We’ll then give you tips and strategies to improve your CV, advance your career goals, and improve your interview call up rate.
This consultation is free and completely non-obligatory.